Monday 27 October 2008

Well here it is - my first ever blog comment.  And its probably not that interesting.

Poker players from around the world will maybe find something of interest here.  The travelling is a nightmare, so I figured that writing a few lines about the life of a professional poker player would be interesting (and to be honest fill in a few blank hours while I wait to play).

I often get asked what its like, and most people seem to think there is an element of glamour in the life.  I guess in all honesty there is a little bit of that, but nowhere near as much as people would like to believe.  The bottom line is that basically you play cards to make money.  Not for fun, for dough.  I've never deluded myself that I am a sportsman (I think that is reserved for people like David Beckham, Tiger Woods and the like.  BUT there are a lot of similarities.  I always tell the guys (and girls) that I tutor, even though you aren't an athlete you have to think and act like one.  Hydrate regularly, have a proper diet etc.  I imagine that seems strange to most people but laying cards is a mental thing, as is much of any sport.

Well thats it for my first post.  Written in the Bellagio (and no I'm not staying here, I've just finished playing and wanted a quick salad before heading home).  I just figured for a first post the venue had to be right.  Its downhill from here on in.

Best, lucky cards.